Saturday, October 31, 2015

"C" is it for cake or cookie?

It has come to my attention that I could be perceived as, how can I say this nicely... a fatty, no a pig, naw nicer than those. I got nothing. Either way I'm not a junk food eating fanatic. If I haven't mentioned before, which I may have I honestly can't remember. Okay stopping the ranting and getting to the point. I work in a kitchen, hence all the desserts. I myself do not gorge on these fine foods alone. I get to share them with a handful of people. So to clear up that rant I do not eat all my food alone.

If your still with me then let's talk food. I made a cake. I know, I know I always make cake. This one is a little out of the box. I found it on a Swedish sight and thankfully they had an English translation. It is a ginger bread cake. I had a bad ginger experience once. Okay you twisted my arm, I was in Peru living abroad and I got sick. My host mother being sweet made me tea. The only thing about this tea was it contained pure ginger. That was it, just shaved ginger. It was so spicy I could not drink it and I garnish with ghost pepper. So the fact that I made cake with ginger was shocking even to me. But my boss asked for it, and you know the rule. If your boss asks for ginger cake you make ginger cake. So I set out to make the best, which is easy since I have never made it before making it the best at least in my repertoire. We all have had a bad food experience if it be food poisoning or you just don't like the taste. What I want you to know is you have to keep trying. Food taste different every time you make it. I don't like ginger tea but ginger cake I found to be nice in flavor. Unless you are allergic I would urge you to keep trying food even if the first time around it wasn't your favorite. I was once told you have to eat something 11 times before your taste buds like it. So like your mother told you when you were a child if at first you don't succeed, eat and eat again.

Okay I promise not to show you another cake for at least a month. As you know the holiday season is upon us. No, I don't mean Halloween. I am a thanksgiving fan but not for the reasons some might think. It's not the turkey, it's not the stuffing, no it's not even the pumpkin pie. It's the kitchen. Thanksgiving is the holiday everyone becomes a cook. The kitchen is the place people are, it's where the party is at. This may be different in your house but in my family the kitchen is it. Thanksgiving starts and ends in our kitchen. Every family member brings a little of who they are into our thanksgiving. Knowing that you could guess what the item I bring to this table is. That's right dessert. I try to make a new item every year. This year I'm considering a healthy-ish alternative. I have made an oatmeal, cranberry cookie. I have dipped half my batch in chocolate and garnished with crushed pecans. Simple oatmeal cookies and add cranberries making turning simple into succulent.

I realize some of you are intimidated by the kitchen. I know, some dishes still scare me. But I try and keep trying because I don't want to end up eating Ramen the rest of my life. If you the reader ever want to leave me a comment of a food your nervous to try I will try my best and making it for you. Then I'll tell you how hard it was and even give you the recipe I used. It will be my way of making sure I cook what you like not just what I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment