Saturday, October 17, 2015

Appetizer or just appetizing?

So if you read my blog last week you can remember the cake competition. Well, I lost. I was coordinating the event (no I didn't cheat) but I do know I made second place for best taste. Yay me. Anyways I am on to bigger and better food. To be specific it is smaller and better food. That is because cake is large. I have moved on from cake and am trying my hand at appetizers. 


Everyone enjoys a chocolate chip cookie or two. Everyone also loves pretzels. That salty goodness with the soft pretzel bread. Both of these items are so delicious separate. I know these are not technically appetizers. Well pretzels are appetizers in restaurants now a days which is new on the food scene. But combined cookies and pretzels are a sweet and salty treat. You just have to stuff that pretzel really good with cookie dough. Also you have to remember to add the salt, which I may have not done first time around. But don't let that deter you since the pretzel is filled with so much buttery goodness it still taste amazing. Now if you are like me you have stood in front of that pretzel stand watching them take the dough and just kind of twist it in the air and BAM it lands on the table looking like a pretzel. Well I'm an amateur and when I tried doing what they did it landed on the table, BAM a rope. So I just made knotts. Then was instructed other wise on how to make pretzel shapes on the table. Take the rope, twist the ends together three times, fold under the whole, and flip over and BAM pretzel. 

Next on the menu muffins. Lemon poppy seed to be exact. Side bar if anyone out there has seen Seinfeld poppy seeds derive from  a type of flower. This is the opium flower, that is my name for it. The seeds of this flower is where we get poppy seeds. These are totally edible and unlike Seinfeld you can only test positive for drugs after eating poppy seeds if you intake a lot. Most recipes call for less than a table spoon so unless your planning on eating the whole batch of muffins then you should be good. Though don't take my word for it or blame me if you test my theory. Anyways back to the food. Lemons and poppy seeds tend to go together and they compliment one another perfectly. I added a cream cheese frosting just for that touch of sweet. 

I know, I know muffins aren't really appetizers just like pretzels aren't really appetizers either. I may not be the best with deciding what food goes into what food group. Appetizer, entree, dessert. Really does it matter if your making the food your making the rules and you can eat whatever you want.   

No comments:

Post a Comment