Sunday, January 3, 2016

That smells great

Before I get into this week's topic I want to point out I changed my name. I am guessing you are all smart and realized that but I want to tell you why. I wasn't just bored and decided to change my name.  Like people do with hair styles, I didn't want to reinvent myself. I have been trying to start my own business for a while selling my food to family's or for parties. With that since my blog is the main source for people to see my work I figure I should make the name match what I call my little business. So Kortni's Kitchen is up and running. Okay know onto the main stuff.

Step 1
Step 2
Vanilla extract! I love vanilla I add it to everything. From waffle mix to every baked good I make. I love the smell when you open the bottle. I'm not sure if any of you have thought, this is so good I just want to drink it straight, I know I have. The real question is have any of you drank this amazing liquid straight? I know I haven't for one very good reason it taste Horrible (I've heard, please feel free to try a teaspoon and let me know). The thing about vanilla extract is you can't have it on its own for how good it smells it's not meant to be drunk. That might be why you tend to only need a dash of it in most recipes.

Step 3
Step 4
Well, this holiday season I decided I was going to try my hand at making it. I love it and with everything else I love, I always say its even better home made. So I looked up recipes and compared what people said. I ordered my vanilla beans and went to my local liquor store. Then I mixed the two ingredients together and hid them away in a dark cupboard. Every week I pulled it out and gave it a little shake to get the vanilla pods to release the loose middle. I did this for about six weeks and then I sealed the bottle to make it look fancy and wahla, vanilla extract. If you didn't catch the fact that you can make vanilla extract from vodka with a high alcohol percentage and vanilla beans then there it is. Which makes my previous statement of, don't drink it understandable. Now most stores sell artificial extract which is not alcohol but things that can do what alcohol does. But if you ever want to try your hand at something simple and don't mind shaking a bottle once a week I would say this is a good place to start.

Unless your under twenty-one and in that case stick to cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment