Saturday, January 16, 2016

Food their whey

Lemon Curd Tart
This week started nauseating and I write today nauseous still. No, I'm not pregnant. I got a call at the beginning of the week from a restaurant wanting me to bring them a taster of my food. That was a first for me. For those of you who are not part of the food industry let me explain how this works.

Lemon curd
When someone is trying to sell a product they turn into a door to door sales man. They go to your place of buisness with the items they want you to buy. But unlike vacuum salesmen who advertise all the extra attachments, food reps advertise fresh products, less processed goods and they always leave behind a little something to eat.

Vegan options
Like your grandmother who always gives you a candy at the end of every visit, it's a little odd they just happen to have food in their bag but sometimes it's good candy so you don't mind. Like every salesman some are better then others as well as their products. So after I hung up my phone and put on my big girl pants, I got to work.




Tofu pecan cookies (flop)
Vegan puff pastry
There is a lot that goes into making a sample platter it is definitely a risk selling something this way. It makes sense why door to door salesmen have been slowly dying out. It's a lot of risk for little reward. First there is all the planning. I must have gone through a few dozen recipes before I decided on my final picks. I even tried a few that were a flop. I then got all my ingredients together which is money out of my pocket. Especially since this order was for vegan items.


 

chocolate and raspberry tart
 
fig and cherry jam swirls
Do you know how hard it is to make vegan    pastries? I do it means no eggs, no milk, and no   butter. Which is pretty much three of the main  ingredients in all pastries. After you have your recipe and your ingredients its time to bake. Twelve hours later you have your finished   product. Five desserts ready to be tasted, you then pick one or two of the best looking out of each batch and set off to your destination. Then its back to your sales pitch which takes a few minutes and your done. You walk out the door and even though you figure your done and the nausea will go away, it doesn't. You see, now you have to wait to see if you get a second phone call saying that they like your product and they want to order it.

butter cookie cone with hazelnut cream
So now I wait for that phone call. I think this is the only time I can say food has made me nauseous and it's not a bad thing. So I ask you has there ever been a meal you prepared that made you both nauseous and excited at the same time? Maybe a first date or a proposal. Lets think back on those moments and cook an old favorite in the coming week.






No comments:

Post a Comment