Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Third times a charm

Last week was crazy. I was on a rampage in the kitchen. I had a strong desire to cook my whole kitchen out of ingredients. I think I pretty much succeeded. I tried my hand at a few new items. There was some hits and some misses. 

First: Zucchini bread. I enjoyed making this very simple item. Even though zucchini bread does not have a lot of ingredients I am not a fan of the flavor. I had never tried this bread before, cooking it or eating it in general. I have decided that nutmeg is not my favorite seasoning. This gives the zucchini bread a spicy taste, which is surprising flavor I was not ready for. I am not sure if you could make the bread without the nutmeg. Maybe make the cinnamon stronger. In the end it looked great and from the people who tried it they enjoyed the taste. 

Second: Cinnamon roll cake. Anthony and I went to the mall and passed a cinnabon. Which I am a fan of carbs smothered in frosting. The thing with cinnabon for me is they have a little to much frosting and the dough I feel is not fully cooked. If not how can they get it that chewy and moist. Due to the mall trip cinnamon rolls were on my mind. So I decided to make some. I figured that the next day was fathers day and what father doesn't like home made cinnamon rolls. I opened my cook book and looked at every cinnamon roll recipe I had. Then I decided on not separate cinnamon rolls but a cinnamon roll type cake. Which if I may confess turned out even better than I thought.   

Third: Cookie sandwich. I am not sure what exactly these are or why I decided to make them. I was just going through an old cook book and found the recipe. I think it had to do with me getting to use my cookie press. Which had been packed away for a very long time. Unfortunately when it was time to use the press I found it had broken :( So the cookies were hand pressed into round cookie shapes by me. If you ever want to get creative with a cookie you can always make cookie sandwiches. These are pretty easy as long as your cookies are all pretty much the same size. Any cookie type works just make sure the middle filling goes well with the cookie. I have done chocolate chip cookies with a raspberry middle fully dipped in chocolate. These are a little easier. I used peanut butter in the middle and just rolled the edging through chocolate.  

By the end of the week I was all dessert-ed out. I think that I am going to start making real food again. Not only is it more filling it looks better on my hips. Until next time, remember adventures can happen in your kitchen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment