Saturday, March 5, 2016

A Family affair

This weekend I spent time at my aunt and uncles house. We had a sort of in prompt to slumber party. They were nice enough to let me cook them lunch the next day. I'm going to give you a glimpse into my families life. Have you ever watched a movie and the main character is on the side walk and they are looking into a strangers window and the family is sitting around the dinner table laughing and everyone assumes they are happy? Well your the main character and as you sit at the computer you get to look into the window of my family.

Friday night we all went out to eat dinner, nine in all. Did I mention I have a big family. So on Saturday we all got up and I made pancakes. This is not about that meal this is about lunch. Have you ever eaten out and it was so good you take home the left overs but the next day your just not into it? You don't want to waste the food but you don't really want to eat them. One of the things I'm decent at is reinvention. Taking left overs and making them new. So that is what I did. I made leftovers into something new.

Empanadas! I should mention we had Mexican food last night. After I had the empanada dough mixed and rising I got the left overs out to make the filling.  I cut up the veggies and the chicken into nice small dices. Then I found a can of black beans and strained it real good. Tip you want to strain the beans really good to get all the can liquid out since it taste gross. I'm sure there are other reasons why you want to rinse things from a can that is more scientific than "gross" but this is my take on the matter.

Once the middle is ready and all heated up the dough should have been doubled. Once that happens you need to separate the dough into eight balls. This number could change depending on the size and the recipe. Then roll them out one at a time. Let me tell you pinching edges is not my thing. If it's not an empanada its a pie or pretty much anything with a top and a bottom crust. I just can't do, I try and by the last empanada the edge work looked okay. Not amazing but its something I have to work on. If you cant tell from the picture above every edge looks different. A trick I learned was to sit the empanada up and then pinch the edges. When it is sitting on the counter it was so much harder to get a good edge. If it is sitting up you can work it from both sides.

After you have all the empanadas stuffed and finished you put them in the oven. Every oven is different so just cook them until they are golden brown. Once I pulled them out we added avocado and ate until we were full. Well that was a glimpse into my family. So next time you are at home and all you have is leftovers know you don't have to eat leftovers. It is really easy to make something new by adding a little something from your kitchen.



No comments:

Post a Comment