Saturday, February 20, 2016

Birthday week quiche

This week has been so weird. I wrote a whole post on Wednesday and then I proceeded to erase it. Due to the fact that when I re read it, it was non sense. I mean complete randomness. I don't know why I thought it was so amazing. I had thought of the whole post late at night on Tuesday and found out one thing, ALWAYS re read what you write when you have an idea late at night. I'm telling you I could give any stream of consciousness writer a run for their money when it comes to my brain late at night. So all week I have been trying to think of what to do. Want to hear what I came up with? This has been my kitchen this week: Wednesday macaroons (bust), Friday donuts(good but not light enough more cake then donut), Friday also another Bundt (good but already written about a few weeks ago), and then I made it, Saturday a quiche.




It is Anthony's birthday this week and in our house we do a birthday week tradition. The whole week leading up to a birthday the birthday person gets spoiled. Growing up the spoiling meant not having to do chores, (i.e. siblings had to do them for you, it was always the best week of my life). Well Anthony was an only child and he did not have a birthday week tradition. Even if he did, the forcing chores on your siblings is the best part. So once we got married this tradition was one he was happy to adopt. We have turned it into our own tradition, the other person has to do all the cleaning for the week. Plus every day the birthday person gets a little present, Anthony got his favorite cereal one day.

With this in mind I decided to do something different for Saturday morning brunch. Saturday morning brunch is one of the only meals Anthony and I have together that we don't, one have to rush through and two aren't eating at midnight since that's when he gets home from work. This morning I got up and made a quiche. No I did not get up early, this is not an all day thing. Most people stray away from pies of any sort because they think it will take forever. I can assure you pie crust is so easy to make and it doesn't take long at all. A few tips; make sure to take a fork and give the crust a few stabs once you have put it in the tin. This will make it not rise during the bake. Also don't over kneed it or it wont be fun to eat, you want it nice and flaky.

I started with a savory crust which is not only quick but has all of four ingredients one being water. There are many types of pie crust. In the end you need to know one thing, savory and sweet. If you are making a quiche or any type of non dessert pie use savory. If you are making a dessert pie use sweet. A main difference is there is no sugar in a savory pie crust. I added shredded cheese so it was kind of like a cheese biscuit crust. I wrapped the dough and put it in the fridge. You should always chill your dough it makes the ingredients hold its form (the butter mostly, you want it to stay nice and cold) and then it doesn't stick to your rolling pin. You only have to chill your dough for 30 minutes. This is the perfect amount of time to assemble your filling.


I then opened my fridge and added pretty much everything that was in our fridge. Saturday is clean out the fridge day in our house, this means either eating left overs or throwing out food. I don't like throwing out food but it has to be done. When was the last time you went through your fridge? Maybe you are better at it then I am. Well either way this is what I found, eggs,  tri-tip which I julienned, then some seasoning and minced garlic. I had forced Anthony to buy carrot sticks for his hummus (he eats hummus like its going out of style) since he doesn't eat veggies, I figured carrots goes with hummus it would be better than chips even if they are pita. Which go figure he didn't eat the carrots. Just like he was a little kid I cut the carrot sticks up small and hid them in the quiche. Then I sliced up some tomato real thin and layered it on the top. Added a little sea salt and popped it in the oven. After about an hour it was ready to be eaten.

I pulled it out and let it cool. While it cooled I got some yogurt out of the fridge and added some fresh raspberry's on top. Making it like a little cake. Also trying to get him to eat some healthy options. Like every husband he will eat anything I put in front of him which is a bonus. This meal was a hit, he loved it, he got a second slice. I was so excited it was a perfect brunch. Next week maybe I'll try one of the flops I encountered earlier this week. Until then take a look at your fridge and see what you can whip up without having to go to the grocery store.




No comments:

Post a Comment