Friday, December 21, 2012

The Last Week in Peru

As the last week comes to a close. I try and do what I call 'the last week adventure'. This started when I first stayed in Europe 3 years ago. On that trip I decided that instead of packing and getting sad because I was leaving I would have some sort of adventure every day of the last week. These adventures, as I call them, don't need to be big and they don't interrupt my normal schedule. So as I have entered my last week in Peru my adventures have come in full swing. I will be writing this post a little different as I recap my last days to you the reader. I want to be clear, I did not neglect my regular work and sadly I have also been saying goodbye to different people everyday.  With that said here we go. My last week started at the end of a week.  I leave on a Thursday and so I will start on Thursday.

Thursday:
I was blessed with two adventures on the first day. The first was a type of graduation party for the children from Semillas. I was able to make them a cake and say goodbye to the kids I had been working with. The second adventure came that same night while all the missionaries got together to play Mexican Train Dominoes. I was able to meet Ed, a man I had heard so much about and to top it off I won a lovely singing Santa. I say lovely with that sarcastically sweet tone.

Friday:
Today a group of youth went to Tarata. This is a natural hot spring up in the mountains. Though the water was hot and the conversation humorous I would have to say the exploration of the cave was my top adventure moment. We had hiked what they call the Inca trail and then went into a cave where we stumbled, not literally, across some remains. The story is said that they were buried there since the war, but since they can't speak we shall never know! Either way, I felt like an archaeologist which made it even more realistic since two of the youth are geologists by trade.

Saturday:
We did Culto in the park today. So we spent the day together playing games and having lunch. Then we all went to the zoo. It was a lot of fun seeing the animals. I fed some hungry monkeys and got attacked by mosquito's. By the end of the day I felt that good kind of tired. The one you get when you have had a long day filled with too much food and you hurt from laughing.

Sunday:

It was my last Sunday at church and it made me sad. It felt like going to a party and having to be the first to leave. But this party happens every week and I may never get to go back. The adventure for me starts there. Let me explain, due to my trip coming to a close I was invited up front at both churches.  They wanted to pray for me. After that they asked me to say a few words. This is normal in most places you do mission work for a period of time. The adventure started when I realized these few words had to be said in Spanish. You may be thinking, 'but you have been learning Spanish?' This is true, but I have a slight fear of speaking in public. It isn't the speaking part or the public part it's because I sound like a 12 year old crying from her first heart break. Go ahead and laugh it's not one of those 'oh your being hard on yourself moments'. No, no multiple people over the years have told me this or a variation of this. So going up front and saying a little something in Spanish turned into me trying to remember all my Spanish while trying not to sound like I was a sobbing child.  I did it and no one asked me if I was crying so I count it as an adventure well done.

Monday:
Apparently my adventure from Saturday never ends. I was given a gift of bug bites that seemed to manifest into my own form of tracker-jackers (Hunger Game reference). They decided to start itching during the night and never ended. For those of you with a wild side remember some adventures turn out to have painful consequences even days later, so make sure they are worth it. This time I will endure but I will think twice about wearing shorts the that park again. On to the adventure of the day. This adventure starts with an open air market where I got ingredients for lasagna. Then I headed up the road to Tio's house were my old host family and my present host family had a lovely lunch. We laughed and talked about super powers. Now you may be thinking 'How is lunch with friends an adventure'? My answer is simple, adventures come in all forms. This for me wasn't just lunch, but quite possibly it was the last time I would get to enjoy the presence of Tio. As you know his wife Tia left for Chilie.  But today was my goodbye with him. This adventure was bitter sweet. No promises given, just the knowledge that if I return to Peru his home is open and if he comes my way the same is true. If you have ever sat down with someone knowing it could be your last face to face encounter you know what I mean when I say this adventure is one I would never replace.

Tuesday:
For my adventure today I didn't even have to leave my house. Don't you love when that happens? I made chicken tortilla soup for my host family and the missionary family. This was the first time I have ever made it and I had to wing it. The recipe was good but Tacna does not have everything it called for - including a garlic press. I usually don't mind tedious tasks but chopping 1/2 cups of garlic by hand was not going to happen. I got about 1T and decided to call it good.  The soup turned out yummy. Just about now you may have one of two things on your mind. One thought is 'Wow this girl does a lot of stuff wrapped around food'.  The answer to that is yes, I believe most things that we look back on and smile about involve food. Your second thought may be that my idea of adventure is different than what you would call an adventure. Again you would be right. If you look up adventure in the dictionary, which is what I just did you will find this "an exciting or very unusual experience." (You will find that if you look it up on the Internet, a real dictionary may say otherwise.) But that is not the point. For me, making something other people have to eat without knowing how it will taste, is an experience. Today I enjoyed my adventure two fold - one experiencing it and two eating it.

Wednesday:
The time has come, I have said my final goodbyes. Today is the last day in Tacna. I fly home in the morning, so I had to make it count. I spent the day learning from a Peruvian how to make a traditional Peruvian dish. I know, I know, more food! It was a blast cutting everything. I even made french fries. -which is something that people in the US just don't do very often. My last lunch was a nice one. We even had some ice cream for dessert. This adventure is two fold also because I got to experience how to make the food here in Tacna and I will also be able to make this dish for my family when I return home. It will make me smile then as I think of the people I have come to care for in Tacna.

Thursday:
I write this from my bed at home. My adventure today was short and sweet. Well not that short since the flight was quite long in duration. But the time flew by, literally, since I was in a plane. I am now home and have hugged the people I have missed and love.

Until I fly again my adventures and travels will stay in my home country. I thank you all for following me as I traveled and for keeping me in your thoughts. Remember, even your home holds hidden treasure. Never think your life is dull, for you do something new every day. God bless. Keep in touch. I will still be writing so please still come and read.

1 comment:

  1. It is true what people say to me, "Kortni is one amazing young lady." Thanks for sharing your beautiful adventures with us. I love you.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete